Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Cold Week

After trying all week to put pictures on my blog I still am unable to do so. I don't know why it is. Is anyone else having this problem? I hope I can publish this entry.

After I posted on Sabbath about the snow and how nice and warm it was it turned very windy on Sunday night/Monday morning. Tim cleaned out the yard on Sunday and went to work. He said the roads were good. I was just feeding the cat and dog when I saw him drive in the yard Monday morning. I was a bit surprised as it was so blizzardy (I know this isn't a word :) looking outside and I thought he might stay at his dad's place in town.

Tim said that he had a hard time seeing on the way home but that the roads were good until he got just a little way from our place. Then he said the snow got really deep and he couldn't see where the road was. Thankfully he made it home fine though he was worn out from working 15 hours and driving home in a blizzard.

When he got up later in the day I asked him why he didn't sleep longer as there was no way he would be able to get to work. The wind had been blowing 45mph all day and there was new fluffy snow that was blowing around. At times we couldn't even see the garage which is close to the house. He did end up taking a vacation day and staying home.

The wind finally ceased sometime early Tuesday morning. Actually our yard didn't look too bad as far as new drifts that needed to be cleared. While the kids and I were doing school upstairs I heard a tractor. Our neighbor, Bruce, was clearing the roads with his snow blower. While he was at it he cleaned up the one drift in our driveway by our mailbox. Tim said the roads were good when he went to work.

Yesterday the road maintainer came by our place so the road should be good to the south as well. We should be able to make it to church on Sabbath if no new storms come through.

In ECC we are finishing the last week of our study of Africa. Next week we will start studying Asia. The first two weeks in Asia will be mainly focused on Saudi Arabia and Islam. I couldn't find many books for book basket on any Arab countries. After reading the idea forum on MFW I found that others didn't either. Some suggested getting books on Israel. I liked that idea and found a few, not many, books listed at our local library. It will be a sparse book basket compared to the one for Africa.

I wondered why Israel isn't studied in ECC. I think it is because the next year will begin a four year study of the history of the world. Next year we will be using Creation to the Greeks and will get a good study of Israel then and in the years to come.

I best get my students upstairs for school. I hope to finish by noon so we can get to town early. I have many errands to do there.

1 comment:

Lynn Bartlett said...

You do so well with coming up with fun things o study! I just found a website that offers all kinds of interesting things regarding Africa, but see you are about done with that continent. I enjoyed visiting with Cora when she was here Fri., and she even told me your last name! Are you coming to convention? If so, let's meet!