Thursday, November 18, 2010

Another week has gone by and I haven't posted our weekly wrap up.  I guess I just haven't felt like posting.  I am feeling better, just very tired.

It was good to have all the children, except Dustin who we miss greatly, here on Sabbath.  We enjoyed a roast beef meal together and the time visiting. 

On Sunday Tim and two of his sons went out deer hunting.  They still haven't seen anything they want to shoot.  I'm kind of hoping they won't get anything as it is so much work and mess to process.  This weekend is the last of the hunting season.  I am pretty sure they will get at least one deer.

On Tuesday we headed for Fargo for Daniel's appointment with Dr. Agnes.  It was nice to see Dr. Nancy there.  She is the one who looks over the homework and assigns new activities for the clients.  She was pretty impressed with Daniel's times on his ABC charts.  She said that once he does them under 2 minutes with a -5.00 lens he won't have to do them anymore.  Right now he is using a -2.50 so he probably has a way to go.  Dr. Agnes also said that Daniel is doing really well and that he likes working with homeschoolers as they do their homework.

As it was already dark when we leave the office we headed right home.  I drove into a little freezing rain but didn't find it slippery.  I am always thankful when God brings me safely home from another trip.

Yesterday I was very tired, too tired to do school.  I think that the combination of driving 300 miles the day before and dealing with this infection was catching up with me.  Too, the children had their annual dentist appointments at 1:00 so it wouldn't have given us time to finish.  Since next week will be a short week because of Thanksgiving it will work out to take a couple days off this week as well.

We did finish up last week's kindergarten and the O-o-octopus week.  Leah enjoyed studying about sea creatures.  Her words to remember were, "Even the octopus praise the LORD."  Psalm 69:34 says, "Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas and all that move in them" and Psalm 148:7:  "Praise the LORD from the earth, you great sea creatures."  We did some fun activities, sang praises, and made an octopus drawing around 8 of Leah's fingers for its legs.  This week (and next) we are doing W-w-water.

Leah's words to remember are "Jesus gives my spirit living water to drink."  We talked about what that means.  I think she got it as much as a 5 year old can.  We have done a few water experiments showing that water is a liquid and liquids have no form.  We can freeze water and it becomes a solid taking on the form of the container but will return to a liquid when it melts.  It's nice that Leah's week corresponds with Daniel's in CtG.  He has been studying about water, too.

Daniel has been learning the Ten Commandments.  This week's verse was "You shall not murder."  He thought that was an easy one to keep.  Then I showed him verses where Jesus spoke about being angry with your brother.  I explained that brother and sister didn't just mean those in our family but all people in God's family.  He didn't know that.  When I explained that is why at church people call others "Brother _________, he said, "Ooooh."  And I saw the light come on!

Daniel still struggles with spelling.  He does well with his words.  When we get to the sentences that I dictate that use words form previous steps it's like he never learned them.  So we go over them again.  I'm hoping as his vision gets better and he reads more his spelling will improve.  But if not, there is always spell check, I guess.

In math Daniel finished his reviews and remembered how to do most everything.  This week he started on graphs which has been fun and easy for him.  Today he will start measuring angles with a protractor.  I'm almost positive he will love doing that!

In Bible he read through the end of Genesis now.  Today we will start Exodus.  He has been waiting to put the Tabernacle model together for about a year.  We used it in our older three's studies and it has been sitting on the shelf in its box ever since.  Every once in a while he will ask if he can put it together.  I told him when we study that time period we would put it together.  As I remember it wasn't that easy to do.  But he is pretty good at things like that so I probably won't have to help much.

This is getting long and I had best get off the computer so we can do our school for the day. 

1 comment:

Tamera said...

Don't give up on spelling. Some kids seem to get it really easily, and others have to work at it, but it's worth it in the long run.

When he's an adult, he'll be perceived as much more intelligent when he spells words correctly.

And, you're right, lol. There's always spell check, he he he.