Friday, November 5, 2010

Weekly Wrap Up

It's funny to me that it is the end of our school and work week already.  Time certainly flies whether we are having fun or not.  All in all it has been a good week.

On Tuesday we went to Fargo for Daniel's vision therapy appointment with his optometrist.  He goes every other week now and does a "double" session which means instead of an hour he is there for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  It is hard work for him but the doctor has activities that are more fun and varied than the ones we do at home each day. 

On Wednesday I had to go to town for my monthly tune up at the chiropractor.  I was supposed to go last week.  Because of the storm I stayed home and rescheduled for this week.  I was able to do a few errands in town, too.

Tim goes in to work later on Wednesdays so the children were able to spend time with him.  He had planned to pick up a load of wood at a neighbor's north of here and they rode along with him.  I was home before they and was able to see the big load he brought. 

The farmer is cutting down all his dead trees and Tim is welcome to any he wants before the farmer will burn them all this winter.  I'm hoping he will be able to get there every week as part of the work is done.  Tim still has to cut them into manageable lengths, lift them onto the trailer, unload them, cut them into logs, split the logs, and stack them in the quonset.  It's a lot of work for a man who works 60 hours a week at a night job.

When Tim had two strong sons at home he had some help in the lifting and work.  Now he has a young son who is strong and a very willing worker but is too young to be helping with much of the heavy work.  Daniel is great at splitting the wood, he loves using the wood splitter, and helping to stack it.

I haven't really accomplished much other than school this week.  I did get some of my house cleaning done.  I picked up replacement rugs for our living room.  Every few years I buy a new one at Menard's.  They sell 6'X9' carpet remnants that have finished edges for $29.99.  The one I bought isn't as nice as the former one.  When Sunny was sick she peed on it.  When younger, Elly did, too.  So we needed a new one.  I moved all the furniture and scrubbed the hard wood floor before I put down the new rug.  I don't like the looks and feel of this rug as well as the other but I know it is clean.

In Kindergarten Leah is finishing D-d-dinosaur.  I found some great fictions stories about dinosaurs at the library.  I read one a day and also read the book What Really Happened to The Dinosaurs that came with the kindergarten deluxe package from MFW.  She did some fun dinosaur projects.  We started All About Spelling Level One this week, too, since Leah was wanting to do more school. 

In Creation to the Greeks Daniel studied through the time of Joseph.  We found a good video at the library that had the stories of both Jacob and Joseph and watched that on two different nights.  It helped Daniel to "see" as he is a visual learner.  When he read the account in the Bible we were able to see any discrepancies that might have been in the video and discussed that the Bible is true so we believe what it says over what the video showed.

Daniel continues to study ancient Egypt and is up to the Middle Kingdom now.  He, too, did some fun projects relating to that.

In science Daniel did a few neat experiments (that worked) relating to gasses in the air.  Those were fun.

He is still studying fractions in math.  Now he is doing written problems and can see how fractions relate to real life.

I can see that I had best get busy.  We have today's school to do which is a light day (yay:)!  I have food to make for Sabbath and the rest of my house to clean.

Blessings to you all.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Can I just tell you how much I LOVE your posts? They are about LIFE, not just school, and they make me feel so warm and relaxed when I read them.

Hope you enjoy your new rug. We just got laminate flooring last year, and there are actually things I miss about the carpet, although I do realize I was fooled into thinking my house was clean! ;)