Sunday, February 27, 2011

Getting Caught Up

When I go to my blog to get to my friend's blogs and read what they have written I think, "I need to post as the last post is so out of date."  The pictures show the bad roads.  It doesn't look like that anymore.  The snow got pushed back from the roads.  Then we had some warm weather that melted the snow on the roads and left them nice and dry.  We haven't had any problems getting to where we needed to go for a few weeks now.  I hope that continues for the rest of the season.

I'm trying to think of anything interesting that has gone on around here.  But I can't think of much as it all seems the same. 

My computer was in the shop for almost a week.  That was a bit hard as I do like to keep in touch with several with email, Facebook, and blogs.  I have had it back now for a few days and I am all caught up.

The children and I have been busy doing school each week day.  Leah only has four weeks left in her kindergarten program.  She is easily reading cvc words and some sight words and has been doing well reading words with beginning or ending blends.  She is picking up on some of the long vowel rules too.  I picked up a pack of little books similar to the Bob Books that have colored pictures that she has read through about three times since Tuesday.

Daniel has twelve weeks left in his program so he is right on track, too.  In Bible he has been reading in I Samuel about King Saul, David and Goliath, and David hiding from Saul.  I love the Victor Through the Bible book that I read after he reads his Bible portion.  It will explain about the time period and customs of the time.  The pictures of the area help us to see the "story" better.

Since we are up to the time of the early Greeks each day I read a chapter from The Children's Homer.  A chapter is just long enough to hold their attention but not loose it.  The language is a little different than what we use.  But I like it.

Daniel is getting quite good at adding and subtracting using decimals.  That has been the focus in math the last few weeks.  He can even do some of the problems in his head which is one of the goals of Singapore Math.

This past week in science Genesis For Kids Daniel started day 6 of creation.  He will be studying about the animals and of course people created on that day.  One of the experiments was to make a bug house, collect some bugs, and study them.  In February in ND there are no bugs!  But we can still read about them.

We listened to the last of the songs on the Bach cd.  This week we will listen to a cd about the life of Handel and read a book about him.  Daniel does art and drawing two days a week.

This past week was a "Fargo week" since Daniel had his appointment with Dr. Agnes for vision therapy.  The day was windy with some ground blizzard in and around Fargo which made the roads slippery.  But we had a good trip with no problems.  We got to Fargo early enough to make a few stops.  Ellyanna needed some dog food that we picked up at Petco.  Since we take her with us to Fargo and you can take dogs into the store, we do.  It is good socialization for her as she doesn't see other people or dogs often.  This time there were no other dogs in the store but she did better at not trying to jump up at people.

Since Barnes and Noble is right by Petco we went there for a nice relaxing hour of looking at books.  That's where I found Leah's set of little readers.  The children tell these lame Knock Knock jokes.  So I bought Daniel a book of Knock Knock jokes.  I'm hoping they can learn some of those that actually make sense.  I found a math workbook for Leah and also one with sight words.  She loves to do workbooks and there was a good choice there.  I found all the Little Bear stories and Frog and Toad stories in one book for each and bought them.  They are easy for Daniel to read which he has been enjoying doing every night before we go to bed.

It was nice to get home safely once again.  The rest of the week we were able to stay home. 

The weather has been nice in that we haven't had any new snow other than a few light dustings.  After one nice week of temperatures around 40 degrees we have been cold again with many days below zero.  Yesterday the wind was blowing from the south all day which helped to drive out the cold.  Today we are supposed to hit 20 degrees!

I hope the good weather holds as this week is our annual home school convention.  I am looking forward to being encouraged, helping out, and seeing old friends.

1 comment:

Tamera said...

It's good to "catch up."

Sounds like the children are doing so well in school!