Friday, April 15, 2011

Another Winter Blast


After this last week it seemed almost impossible that we could get more snow in large amounts.  But in good old ND that is not only possible but likely in April.  Some of the worst storms that I remember have been in April.


I remember our first winter living out here on the farm.  That was the winter of '96-'97.  The year we had record snowfall.  My dear mother was still alive then.  After spending the winter in nice warm Arizona she had come back for spring.  We spent the Sabbath with her at her farm 6 miles away when it started to storm.  I'm sure we had divine help that night as we drove home.  We could hardly see the road.  The snow was so thick that we didn't know if we had passed our farm which is right by the road.  Finally we came upon it.  Since the temperatures are warmer in April it rained first.  When the wind began to blow it downed power lines all over the state.  We were without power for over three days.  That winter we had no wood stove.  So we didn't have any heat.  It is actually a good memory now.  Still it is nothing I am ready to repeat!


Since we are planning a trip soon Tim has been after me to get a new camera.  My digital camera is over 9 years old.  I think it takes good pictures.  Some of my older children have commented that their cell phones take pictures with higher mega pixels than my camera which is true.


I sort of have had my heart set on a Canon Rebel.  But the price has deterred me for a few years so I put off getting one.  This spring I thought that while I would really enjoy a camera like that I wouldn't like carrying it around while on vacation.  Plus I would worry about someone stealing it.  So I started looking at cameras at WalMart.



Yesterday I tried some out again.  I settled on a Sony Cyber-shot since I had so much success with my old camera which goes by the same name.  This one, a DSC-H70, has 16.1 Mega pixels, 10x Optical zoom, 25mm Wide-angle lens, and a 3.0" LCD screen.  As you can see I've been practicing.



I hope I can learn how to use some of the nice features on this camera before we go on vacation.  I'm planning on taking my laptop with us and should be able to blog while we are gone.



I'm so happy that I was able to (easily might I say) import pictures on my new computer and use my new camera.  I guess there is hope for this older lady.

4 comments:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

We got dumped on in mid-March, but no snow (so far!) in April. It has been raining like crazy last night and all day today; I keep thinking what it would be if it were snow, and that makes me thankful for the rain! :^)

Cora Beth said...

Yes, with God's help, there is hope for us all. :)

Congratulations on your new camera! It sounds like a really good quality one. Have fun learning all the new features!

Where are you going on your vacation? Hopefully somewhere without SNOW. :)

Have a happy Sabbath,
~Cora

Dawn Bornemann said...

Wow Kimberly--I'd say it takes excellant pictures and you did a great job on this post! I loved the "Old-er" lady comment!
I spent the afternoon reading in a book that Elizabeth gave me called, THE PEARL BOX. I got to the chapter on mental health and learned about speaking what we want out loud instead of negative things.
Being I'm so new at this, I'll try my best to bless you with a comment about the weather. How do you like this one? "I'm glad it's not December!" or "I have some lovely robin pictures of them keeping warm under the snow drift in my evergreens." Then there's, "You must be glad for your wood stove these days!" :)
Blessings for a great week,
Dawn

Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Kimberly,
This time we had less snow than you! Only an inch! A little over a week ago we had a group of homeschooling families up for a farm tour -- all 60 of them, and the children LOVED all the mud! I'm sure the parents weren't quite as thrilled. At least the snow hid the mud underneath, but it won't be long before it shows up again.

Jim was gone some this week, and hopefully he answered your question. Let us know if he missed it.