Last night we were under another winter storm warning with our area expecting 3-6 inches of snow. This morning I was pleased to see we didn't get that amount. It was more like an inch that has ice underneath it. The five day forecast is for moisture everyday except Sunday. It's back to mud, lots of it.
Living in a farm and ranch community I get reports from several who are having trouble with calves dying. They are born out in the cold mud. Even though the rancher is out there checking frequently they can be pretty cold by the time he finds them. Some won't make it. We could use some sunny dry weather.
Yesterday Daniel did his standardized testing in town. In our state the law says that home schooled children must test in grades 4, 6, 8, and 10 with a certified teacher. The composite score must then be sent to the local school district.
"If the child's basic composite score on a standardized achievement test is less than the thirtieth percentile nationally, a multidisciplinary assessment team shall assess the child for a potential learning problem under rules adopted by the superintendent of public instruction."
And...
"If the multidisciplinary assessment team determines that the child is not disabled and the child's parent wishes to continue home education, the parent, with the advice and consent of an individual who is licensed to teach by the education standards and practices board or approved to teach by the education standards and practices board, shall prepare a remediation plan to address the child's academic deficiencies and file the plan with the superintendent of the school district or with the county superintendent if the district does not employ a superintendent. The parent is responsible for any costs associated with the development of the remediation plan. If the parent fails to file a remediation plan, the parent is deemed to be in violation of compulsory school attendance provisions and may no longer supervise the home education of the child." (taken from the ND Home School Law)
So...testing can be stressful especially if your child has some learning problems. But Daniel did really well. The lady who tested him looked over his test before we sent it back to be scored. He barely missed any questions. That was a relief!
I am so glad we waited a few months to test. If we had tested him with our local home school group when they tested in February I don't think Daniel would have done as well. He is a much better reader now. He finished every test in time. Now we just need to wait for the results from the testing service and send the composite score to our local school district.
Today we are back to regular school work. We are finishing week 29 in CtG. We had been reading about King Hezekiah and the Babylonian Empire. Our memory verses for the rest of the school year has been Isaiah 40: 21-31. Daniel will finish his science book, Genesis for Kids, this week. Then we will use Archimedes and the Door of Science for the rest of the year. It will correspond with our study of the Greek Empire.
Because we couldn't read just one chapter we finished The Children's Homer last week. In music we are listening to Handel. And we continue drawing lessons in art.
Daniel is almost finished with his math, spelling, and English for the year. I had hoped to finish those subjects before we go on vacation. He should finish his math but will still have another week in the other two subjects to finish when we get back. We will have several weeks in CtG to finish as well but should be able to combine several days into one as he will not have the other subjects to do.
Our school year is winding down. I am looking forward to being done for the summer and to some summer weather!
2 comments:
We got slammed with 9.5 inches of very wet, heavy snow last night - yuck.
I'm so glad I don't have the pressure of testing as you do - but I'm glad Daniel did well.
I just got our CtG stuff for next year in the mail last week; I've only looked it over a little, but I am excited to start (in early August). :^)
Dear Kimberly,
I am so glad that Daniel did well on his test! Our test administrater would usually look over it before she'd leave here too. One year she said that one of the children had not done as well as they usually did. Then, when the test results came back, the score was in the lower 90's and we all laughed. It made us wonder how well she knew her 6th grade material!
I am too discouraged to discuss the weather.
Keep warm,
Dawn
Post a Comment