Here is this year's garden. With it being such a late year with not much warmth it seems to be doing pretty well. The rain we had last week sure perked things up. You can water all you want but there is something special about the rain!
I tilled between the rows this morning. Then I saw dark clouds in the SW and decided to hill up my potatoes right away since the soil was so nice from the tilling. We never did get more than a few sprinkles but I'm glad to have the job done!
Tim had brought us Yukon Gold potatoes from work that we loved so I decided to plant that type in my garden this year. Most of the plants are up and doing well with a few just starting to poke through the ground.
The corn is doing nicely. Tim said to plant lots of corn. So I did. I have two varieties: Sugar Buns and Bodacious with most being the latter. We like to eat it fresh of course but I am hoping to get quite a bit to put in the freezer. We ate up all last year's that I cut off and froze. Each time I got out a package for our meals everyone appreciated it and commented on it. It's nice to have one food item that everyone will eat!
I haven't had very good success with peas the last few years. I remember years ago when we picked bushels of peas at a time. Tim cut some cattle panels in half for my peas to climb up this year. We do like peas fresh from the garden so I hope we will be able to harvest alot of them soon.
A friend from church showed Tim his tomatoes last year. He had cut the bottoms off 5 gallon buckets and set the buckets around each tomato plant. He said it helped support the plant and keep it off the ground. Tim thought we should try it this year and I was all for it. So far it has helped keep the wind off the plants and kept them warmer. A few weeks ago we had a frost warning so I just set lids on the buckets. I have one plant with a tiny green tomato!
I always order my seed from Johnny's Seeds. I got my order in later this year than I normally do. They were out of some of the seeds I wanted. One they didn't have was the yellow zucchini. I kept forgetting to look for seeds in town. Of course I didn't find yellow but I did plant some regular zucchini. They are delicious, too.
I started from seed Anaheim chili peppers and have 4 plants. In town I bought this bell pepper plant.
Here's another tomato plant.
Gardening is alot of work but so satisfying and rewarding. I have some lettuce, a spicy mix, that is almost ready to cut. You know, I forgot to plant some dill and haven't noticed any coming up. I better dig through my seeds and see if I can find any. Daniel and I love to walk through the garden and pick off some to eat. Daniel asked today if I had any chives. He and I like to pick and eat that, too. Makes me want to go make some knipfle!! In the summer Mom would make a vinegar and cream sauce with dill to pour over the lettuce and knipfle. Yummm!
2 comments:
Kimberly,
I am sooooooo thrilled that you have started a blog!! I sure am glad that you let me know the address so that I can keep up with what you're doing--thanks much!
Your garden looks great!!! I like the idea of using old pails to protect your plants. Over here we have so much wind that the plants need some help too. The past few years we've dug very deep trenches (at least half a foot) and planted everything in the bottom. This protected the plants from the wind and caught any extra moisture. We got tired of trying to keep the old milk jugs from flying away so this was our backup plan. Now I see there's another way to do it so thanks for sharing that idea.
My, your corn is tall already!! There's no way that ours will be knee high by the 4th. You have always had such beautiful gardens and now I can see it from a distance.
Thanks again for sharing,
Dawn
It was at your prompting that I started the blog. So thank you! I love keeping up with yours, too and read it everyday.
Post a Comment