Sunday, June 21, 2009

Whitestone Battlefield


We had a beautiful restful Sabbath. Pastor Steve gave an excellent message at church. He is working through Daniel and brings in alot of new testament scriptures confirming the prophecies. I liked the way he showed the visuals this week. It helps me to see the big picture better.

After church Tim grilled some steaks. I made some baked potatoes and a salad. Whitney got the garlic toast ready and Brandon did the punch. It was delicious!

Since it was our 27th anniversary we decided to do something special. Because I have such great childhood memories of camping and picnics at Whitestone Battlefield I had a wild idea of going there. My family thought it sounded good as well so we headed over there after lunch.

Well....it was really run down and didn't look the way it did when I was a child or even like it did the last time we were there for a picnic about 15 years ago. The museum wasn't open, the grass wasn't mowed, most of the playground equipment was broken, the buildings were dilapitated, but the setting was still gorgeous.

Here is a picture of the museum. The main part has a picnic area with a fireplace. We had so much fun playing in there as kids. There is a locked door that leads to the small museum that houses some Indian and Cavalry artifacts and information about the battle.




Here's one of the kids beside the lake.




This is up on the hill by the memorial where we would run several times a day. What a view we had!




We are walking over to the actual burial site.


There's a little bridge going over a stream.





By the burial site.



It sure was hard to get these pictures on here. There must be an easier way to do it than the way I did it. Have a good day.



































No comments: