Monday, October 5, 2009

Shakers

I am reading a historical fiction book "The Believer" by Ann H. Gabhart. It is set in the 1800's. From the note about the Shakers, "American Shakerism originated in England in the eighteenth century. Their leader, a charismatic woman named Ann Lee, was believed by her followers to be the second coming of Christ in female form. After being persecuted for these beliefs in England, she and a small band of followers came to America in 1774 to settle in Watervliet, New York and there established the first community of the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, more commonly known as Shakers."

The Shaker's community flourished so they expanded their religion as the westward expansion took place and set up communities further west. "By the 1830s the Shakers had nineteen communities spread throughout the New England states and Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana."

The Shakers had doctrines of celibacy, communal living, and the belief that perfection could be attained in this life based on the revelations that Mother Ann claimed to have divinely received.

These "communities thrived until after the Civil War, when few recruits were willing to accept the strict, celibate life of the Shakers, and the sect gradually died out."

It has been interesting to read about their life. They were good peaceably people who worshipped God and read the Bible. But they also worshipped Mother Ann and seemed to hold her beliefs higher than the Word of God. They believed salvation was attained by doing the things that Mother Ann taught, some which were obviously against the Word of God. There is the command God gave, "Be fruitful and multiply." They believed married life was sin.

We know that salvation only comes through Jesus Christ not through the things we do. Yes, good works should follow but that is not where our salvation lies. Our salvation comes in the acceptance that we are all sinners and that Jesus took our sins and died for them.

Problems come when some try to add to the law and the prophets. Jesus warned about doing this. God's laws are not grievous but man's sure can be! I am tired of the twisting of God's words to suit man's agenda.

We are to study the scriptures to find ourselves approved. What are the scriptures Paul was talking about? The Law and the Prophets! It would help us to do more study in them and the words of Jesus.

On the lighter side...the children finished their pinata. I popped the balloon. Then the top of the balloon tore off while I was trying to take it out. I couldn't reach the balloon. I tried getting it with a screw driver, then a pliers, but couldn't reach it. Daniel couldn't get his hand in there. But little Leah's fit and she got the balloon out. Now we just need to attach a string and fill it with treats. We plan to have our fiesta this weekend.

After canning more and more tomatoes yesterday I made some Mexican chocolate chip cookies. I got that recipe and one for Dulce de Leche from the MFW forum. I had bought extra milk so I could make the dulce de leche and thought I may as well make it. It is so delicious!!!! I could have eaten it plain. We made some churros to dip in the sauce...MMmmmmmm!!

I'm hoping to get some tortillas made today. We used to always make our own but haven't for a few months. Daniel has been asking to make some as he doesn't like the store bought ones as well. He is a good helper as he will run the quesadilla maker that I use to cook the tortillas. I roll the tortillas out and he squeezes and cooks them in the maker. Still it is a 1-2 hour procedure as we like to make some for the freezer.

I will try to get some pictures of the tortillas and pinata today.

3 comments:

Karol said...

Dear Kimberly,
Have fun with the pinata and fiesta! You are such a good Mom and wonderful person. I enjoy reading your blog. Your homeschool sounds so fun and creative. Can I come?
Enjoy your day.
Love, Karol

Kimberly said...

That would be fun. But we might not get much work done. We'd be too busy gabbing!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly,
Thanks for sharing that about the Shakers--I must have had them mixed up with the Quackers. At any rate it is scarey to see what perversions arise when we put other teachings above the Bible. It's hard for me to understand why anyone would value some human being's opinion more than the one and only God--the creator of us all!
Please keep writing such thought-provoking posts! I like the "Lighter side" too! :)
Dawn