Friday, October 9, 2009

Tortilla Recipe

I love that I have a request for my tortilla recipe. It isn't actually "my" recipe as I got it from my Sue Gregg cookbook. We have been using it for many years now and sort of feel like it is ours. Anyway here it is. The recipe is for 1 dozen. I will put the amounts in parenthesis for 6 recipes beside the 1 recipe amounts.

Whole Wheat Tortillas

1. Place butter in bottom of glass measuring cup.
Add water to the 3/4 cup mark:
1 tablespoon butter, melted (6 TBLS)
water up to 3/4 cup mark (4 1/2 cups)

2. Blend dry ingredients together in medium bowl. (I put the measured butter and water into my Bosch Machine and then add the flour and salt.)
2 cups whole wheat flour (not pastry flour) (12 cups or until the dough clears the bowl)
1/2 teaspoon salt (3 teas.)


3. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients with a table fork until all the water is mixed in. Gather dough together in your hands, squeezing it together to make an evenly moist ball of stiff dough. ( I just use my Bosch and never have made it by hand.)

4. Knead the dough on a pastry sheet for 2 minutes. Cover with a damp towel and let dough rest for 30 minutes. This will make the dough much easier to roll out without sticking. (After I finish mixing it in my Bosch I put the dough into big Pampered Chef glass bowl and put the lid on it. I do let it rest at least 30 minutes.)

5. Divide dough into 12 pieces of about equal size. (You will figure out how big to make your tortillas. I only put out about 8 round balls at one time as they dry out quickly. Keep your other dough covered.)

6. Place each piece of dough, one at a time, on a square of wax paper; press it slightly flat and cover it with a second square of wax paper. (I don't use wax paper. I use a lightly floured pastry mat or counter top.)

7. Roll dough out very thin with rolling pin over the wax paper.

Special Tip: After every 2-3 rolling strokes, peel off top piece of wax paper pulling it close to dough; replace it and flip paper over; peel off the other side and replace it. This will make rolling easier and prevent dough from sticking to the paper. (I think this is why I don't use wax paper!)

8. Cook in ungreased hot frying pan, about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes each side until a few brown spots appear. Keep warm in basket or on a plate lined with a cloth.

Nutritional information per tortilla of 12
Exchanges: 1.25 Fat, 1 Bread, 82 Calories, 2 g protein (10%), 1 g fat (13%), 16 g carbohydrate (78%; 0 grams sugars), 2 g dietary fiber, 3 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, $.05

I'm so glad we had made our tortillas ahead of time. This morning I made some homemade chicken broth. I almost always make my own fresh as it is so easy to do. I can make the broth and cook the chicken at the same time. I cut up the chicken and made chicken enchiladas with it and used some of the broth to make the sauce. We will have those tomorrow when we have our Fiesta.

I thought it a good night for soup. So I used the chicken broth that was left to make some knipfle soup. I made "Norman's Soup." The recipe came from a fellow church member who used to make this soup for our potlucks at church. He has been gone almost 18 years now but his recipe lives on.

For dessert I made an apple pie. We have all eaten our supper. I still need to put the rest of the soup away and do the few dishes that are out there.

Does anyone have a white yard? Snow fell lightly off and on for a few hours but there isn't any out on the ground. It was feeling a little cool in here as the fire had burned down. Tim loaded up the stove and it is roaring now. I best go turn it down or it will be a hundred degrees in here.

2 comments:

Lynn Bartlett said...

Thanks so much for the recipe! Now to find time to try it out!

Karol said...

Your enchiladas, knipfle soup and apple pie were so good!
Thanks again:)