Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Lot of Rain!

After not having rain here for several weeks we got our portion all all once it seems.  Monday night we got 1 inch.  Tuesday we got 2 3/4 inches.  And Tuesday night 2 3/4 inches more came down.  All of these fell quickly.  We had no hail and hope that all you readers didn't either.  I heard that some where they got softball sized hail.  What would be left after that?

Yesterday was our day to go for vision therapy in Fargo.  Daniel had his appointment in the morning.  I am happy to report that starting in the middle of August he will only have to go every other week.  That will save much time and driving.  On the weeks he will have therapy in Fargo he will do a "double" which is a 90 minute session instead of 60 minutes.  I imagine the price will be more for a "double" but we will save money on gas. 

We tried to eat a picnic lunch at the park but the wind almost blew our plates off the table so we ate in the van.  After we finished eating the children were able to play at the park for about 45 minutes.  Then Leah had a vision appointment.  We thought it good to have her vision checked for any problems before she starts school.  If she did have any problems there would be no sense in starting this fall.  I'm happy to say that she has none of the problems Daniel has and can also see 20/20. 

Leah was so happy to do "therapy" at Dr. Agnes'.  I tried to explain to her that she wasn't going to do "therapy" but just have her vision checked.  She preferred to think of it as therapy.

We didn't stay long in Fargo, just filled up the van at Sam's as it was empty and walked around in Lowe's checking prices on some things.  Then we headed home.  I save quite a bit of money filling gas at Sam's as it is at least $0.25 less a gallon than gas in Jamestown.  This week it was $2.409.  I didn't look in Jamestown what the price was there but I'm pretty sure it is more.

Shortly after getting on the interstate Tim called me to say that they were just having a bad rain storm come through Jamestown and it was heading east.  I could see the dark clouds ahead but didn't want to stay in Fargo for the night.  I was hoping it would loose some of its intensity as it moved towards us.  It didn't.

I tuned in to Life 97.9, a Fargo Christian radio station, that kept me updated on the weather.  I kept scanning the sky for tornadoes but never saw any funnel clouds, thankfully.  When we got on the west side of Valley City it started to rain.  It was so bad at times that I could barely see the road.  Once it started to hail.  It was so loud on the top of the van and the windshield.  I thought it might break the window. 

Right before it started to hail while it was pouring rain a red pickup whizzed past me. When he got beside the minivan in front of me it started to hail.  He immediately cut in front of the minivan, causing her to almost hit him, and pulled over to the side.  She slammed on her brakes.  If I had not been watching carefully I would have rear ended her as she stopped right on the interstate in front of me.  I drove until I came to an exit where I pulled off the interstate for awhile. 

I was thankful and give praise to God for keeping us safe.  It was so good to finally get through the main part of the storm.  As we did we could see all the water running along side of the road in the ditches and the fields.

Then last night/ early this morning I woke to another storm.  It was so light I thought it must be almost daybreak.  I was surprised when I looked at my clock and it was only a little after 2:00 a.m.  Tim was already home eating supper.  I got up and was amazed at the amount of rain that was falling.  With the lightning flashing almost constantly it was easy to look out into the yard.  I looked like a lake.  When we went to town this morning we saw how full the creeks are.  One spot on the pavement just north of here had water running over it.  I was glad to let Tim drive through it first.

I don't remember if I mentioned it in my blog posts that on Sabbath we got the sad news that a good friend of the family, Marlene Cumber, died.  Today was her funeral.  Tim and Mark have been close friends all their lives.  Mark and his wife live in North Carolina now.  But Mark had just been home a little over a month ago for Tim's mom's funeral and had stayed with his mom and dad.  It will be a hard time for the Cumber family.  Marlene leaves behind a husband, 4 children and their spouses, 6 grandchildren, and 4 great grandchildren.  I ask you to pray for their comfort especially for Jack her husband.  They were married for over 50 years.

I must get Daniel in here.  We haven't done his vision therapy today.  After the funeral and lunch the children had swim lessons.  So we just got home a little while ago.  Tim drove over to Mandan for the burial at the Veteran's Cemetery.   He took tonight off from work so he could do that.  It will be nice to be all finished before he gets home.

Blessings.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly,
I'm so thankful that you were kept safe on the Interstate! I often wonder what some of these drivers are doing.
I have a partner in my storm watching these nights. Andrew has taken it up with me, only he also watches it on his I-pod. He shows me what the storm looks like on the radar so then I get to see it twice.
As long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by storms. To see the awesome power of God on display like that, fills me with wonder at His majesty--sometimes I cry at His beauty and power. Of course, I ask Him to keep us and everyone safe from it, but it just thrills me to watch a storm.
I'm sorry about the loss of your friend and prayed for them just now.
With love,
Dawn