Thursday, July 15, 2010

Puppy and Hail

Yesterday I said that we did not have hail.  Last night I noticed while in my garden evidence of small hail.  It must have happened on Tuesday while we were gone.

I've got some new pictures of Ellyana.  She is growing so quickly.  There are no troubles with her keeping her food down now and she eats a lot.  The children enjoy her most of the time.  But she can get a little rough with them.  Her teeth and nails are sharp.  One day she got Leah down.  I was around to intercede and stopped the biting.  It helps if they are wearing long pants and sleeves.  I try to train her not to bite.  But they will egg her on not realizing that they are doing so.  I'm sure Elly plays like she would with her puppy brothers and sisters.  Here she is being nice.





I'm trying to get her to look at the camera.  Already she knows the flash comes after the click and looks away.





She doesn't get to have the run of the house as I am tired of puppy pee!  We do let her play awhile and make sure we watch her while we play.  Then we put her out in her fence.





She seems pretty smart and has learned not to scratch and cry at the back door.  It is a relief not to have to worry about what she is doing while she is in the house.





We have two more days of swimming lessons in this session.  I signed Daniel up to take them as well as his level was swimming right before Leah's.  He does so much better now that he is older.  We had to skip Tuesday's class as we were in Fargo.  But he is learning some new strokes and doing well at it.  I'm hoping he will graduate from this level.


And Leah is like a new girl in the water.  Yesterday she jumped off the side of the pool into the deep area with her noodle.  She doesn't cry or cough when she goes under water.  Miss Nici is trying to teach them some swimming moves now that her group is more comfortable in the water.  I'm hoping Leah will graduate from her level as well.  I'm not sure if I will keep her in lessons during the school year as we have so many things going on.  Maybe I will wait until summer again as we really won't be going swimming until then anyway.


With all the rain that softened the ground and then the strong wind that blew yesterday my corn tipped over.  It has tassels and cobs and looked so nice.  I'm hoping it will stand up some.





Here's some evidence of hail.  Can you see the white spots on the peas?  There are so many peas.  We will have to get out there this evening and pick them all off. 





After I took the garden pictures this morning I saw little Elly sitting by the back door in her fence.  She loves to lay under the big evergreen and chew on pine cones or her bone.  She can see the front door from there and best of all the bird feeder which always has activity around it.  If there are not little birds eating there are the big birds (chickens) coming to clean up the feed that falls to the ground.





Edited to say I heard this morning while listening to the news that they did a study at some university on what came first, the chicken or the egg.  They found that the chicken had to have come first as there is a protein in the egg that is only produced by a chicken.  But then they wondered where the chicken came from.  The local newscaster said,  "It was created, of course!"  I liked that.

I had best go get ready for the day.

1 comment:

Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Kimberly,
I'm enjoying your blog posts. I haven't had time to post or read anyone else's for a while. I also wanted to let you know I was sorry to hear of the death of your mother-in-law. I had read the post, then never got around to commenting.

We had 3 bouts of hail, and our corn leaves shredded. I hope they will still be okay, we'll see. We also lost half our potato plants, all of our cucumbers, edible bean plants (kidney and navy), and some other things due to the heavy rains. It will be interesting to see what we end up having for harvest. Our raspberries are coming, but they too are showing signs of stress from all the rain. It's all in God's hands.