Sunday, September 25, 2011

The walls are going up

I'm not sure when I took this picture, probably last week Sabbath or Sunday.  It shows the progress that has been made.



A project like this is fascinating for an active little boy.  Daniel now says that he wants to do this type of work when he grows up.



I think it was on Monday that the cement truck came and they poured the footings for the basement walls.



This picture I took this morning because people have wondered about the concept of the beam being our step to get into the house.  I haven't fallen out of the house yet.  Most of the time it isn't too difficult to get in or out.  On Friday night I needed some help getting off the beam as I had my high heels on for church.  When we got home I had to take them off before I could step up onto the beam.



This picture is of the south wall.



This is the west side.  The old cement steps are solid.  We will be replacing them with new prefabricated hollow cement steps.  We will have two windows on each side of the basement.



This is the north side.



And this is the east side. 



This is their driving ramp on the south east corner of the house.  They bring cement and blocks down in their bobcat and haul things out with it, too.  I am thinking this will be one of the last things they will build.  Part of the old stairway and south wall of the cistern are still there, too.



I am pleased with the progress of the basement.  Having the workmen around hasn't been too hard.  I appreciate that they don't have music playing while they work.  I haven't heard any bad language.  They are always patient with the children and are careful when they are driving their equipment.

Since it isn't too noisy in the house now I am planning on bringing the school books back into the house.  It will make it easier to do school and take care of the different family needs if we are in here.  I hope to get a chance to do that today.  First I need to clean the school room as it is very cluttered. 

We had a good week of school.  I feel we made good progress in both the children's learning.  I especially liked the Bible lessons in Daniel's school this week.  Each day we went through some old testament prophecies of Jesus and their fulfillment in the new testament.  It was a good way to show the truth of the Holy Scriptures.  How can anyone not believe when you have that proof?

Daniel is liking his fractions in math.  Each day builds on the previous days work.  At first he thinks it is going to be hard.  After we go through the lesson and he starts his work he remarks that it is easy.  He learned how to add and subtract fractions with mixed numbers where he would first have to make common denominators and then simplifying the answers.  In looking ahead I see this week he will be multiplying and dividing fractions.

Leah continues to be delighted with her school work.  She seems to love everything about it.  This week we drew a Bible land's map using a story from MFW.   After learning the story we draw the Mediterranean Sea, the Nile River, the Red Sea, the Dead Sea, the Jordan River, the Sea of Galilee, the Persian Gulf, and the Euphrates and the Tigris Rivers.  Then we learned a sentence to help us label all those bodies of water.  Finally we colored the water blue.  She was pleased with her map and so was I. 

Today I want to go with my daughter, Whitney, to our church.  She is the church janitor.  This weekend we had our annual Harvest of Thanks celebration where we give thanks for the harvest and the many other things the LORD has provided for us throughout the year.  Many visitors come from different states.  We have a great time seeing old and making new friends.  With all the people there we serve a lot of food to feed them.  In doing so the church gets much dirtier than usual.  I feel bad for Whitney that she has all that extra work and said that I wanted to help her clean this year.  Two are better than one.

I see she just drove into the yard so I had best get going.

1 comment:

Cora Beth said...

It was so good to see you and visit with you a little while at Alfred, Kimberly!!! :) I hope the cleaning job went smoothly today. I'm sure Whitney was thankful to have your help!

Thanks for posting all these pictures as it definitely does help to get a visual picture of the things you were describing. :) I hope and pray the rest of this project goes smoothly and quickly!

~Hugs~
Cora