Thursday, August 13, 2009

Aberdeen Trip

Wow! Isn't it hot here?! After having temperatures in the 70's it is extra hard to take the 90's we are having this week! Sounds like it will soon be back to the 70's and that's okay with me!


We went to Aberdeen on Monday. We got there in time to eat brunch at IHOP. I didn't know they had an IHop in Aberdeen. We all had breakfast as we hadn't eaten at home. It was good. We met the Listul's at the water park at the 1:00 opening time. It only cost our family $23 to get in for all day.


The water park was one of the nicest I have seen, around here anyway. There was a nice pool area for Leah to play in. She got brave and started going down the frog slide after we had been there for a couple hours. Then she went down it constantly until we left at 6:00.


The other kids enjoyed the big slides and the kiddie slides. Although I went down the slides a couple times I mostly enjoyed floating on a tube along the Lazy River. Tim liked the fast yellow slide. I didn't try that one as it was totally enclosed, fast, and you would get water shoved up your nose as you hit the pool. I can swim but I don't like to go underwater. I've never learned the trick of keeping water out of my nose.


After we left the water park we checked into our motel. The rooms were nice and had connecting doors to the Listul's room. The kids loved that and spent a few minutes comparing the rooms, to see whose was better, I think. Since we had bought certificates for the Mexican restaurant we went there for supper. I think it was authentic. The part of town it was in was neat. The supper was good. We got $30 worth of food for $18!


After supper we took a stroll downtown. I started seeing shops that looked familiar to me. Then I recognized the Sherman Apartments where my paternal grandparents had lived in their later years. We had gone to see them a few times and had spent sometime walking those shops when the older kids were younger. My little grandmother had taken care of my grandfather there for quite a few years when he wasn't doing too well until he passed away. Then she lived there a few more years until she passed away, both of them in their 90's.


The kids didn't get enough swimming and wanted to try the motel pool. Tim and Dave took the three oldest down swimming for a couple hours after supper. I got Leah ready for bed. She was okay with that. We watched Magnum P.I. until she fell asleep beside me. I don't think she moved all night she was so worn out. Tim and Daniel got back to the room around 10:30, took their showers, and we were all sleeping by 11:00.


Of course I woke at 6:00 and couldn't go back to sleep. I laid there as long as I could before getting up and taking my shower. We all went down for our breakfast. The children were excited that they could choose from so many good things. Most of us enjoyed the waffles that we could make ourselves. Leah had two bowls of Fruit Loops. We were packed up and out of there by 9:30.


We wanted to go through StoryBook Land before it got hot. I hadn't been there for many years and was amazed at how nice it was, much nicer than StoryBook Island in Rapid City that we saw last summer. We also enjoyed the park for awhile before it got too hot to play.

This picture didn't turn out well because of the sun in the background. We followed the yellow brick road.
Like I said, it was so nice in there. Can you see the giant coming down the bean stalk in the background?

We saw this peahen with her one little chick.
Jack and Jill fell down but Daniel didn't.

Aren't they cute?


Daniel and Olivia are taking a second ride. They are similar and liked spinning the cart around with Olivia screaming the whole time.


After we left StoryBook Land the three oldest kids took rides on these. Then all of us went on the go-carts. That was so fun. Leah laughed beside me the whole 5 minute ride!


We sure enjoyed the mini vacation. Now we are enjoying our nice airconditioned house and having Tim home with us for the rest of the week. We might go up today and visit the pool in Jamestown. We are pushing the Bismark day trip back to Sunday as it will be too hot to visit the zoo today or tomorrow.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberly,
How wonderful for you to be able to get away as a family for some R & R!!!
I have special memories of our family visits to Storybook Land too! Once we were down there for a home school graduation and it had just rained a few hours before. I have never been closer to feeling like I was in Heaven than that. All of the trees and flowers were releasing their fragrances and it smelled wonderful! Everything was washed clean and, because of the rain, we were the only ones there in our own little Heavenly cacoon. :)
Another time my mom took my sister-in-law and I, plus our children, down for a visit. I have a picture of her going down Jack and Jill's slide with Andrew sitting on her lap--that was a looong time ago. Seeing the slide again made me think of her generosity on that day and I realized anew the value of taking pictures to preserve the memories that are so priceless.
Thanks for sharing, Kimberly!
Dawn

Cora Beth said...

What great ways to cool off on these hot days! Jacob & I've been bouncing on the trampoline with water balloons!

I have several fond memories from StoryBook land too. That's such a fun place. I hope it cools off nice so you can enjoy your time at the zoo--whenever you go. :)