Sunday, October 11, 2009

ECC Week 6

We have finished week 6 in ECC (Exploring Countries and Cultures). We will be leaving Mexico and heading to Canada Monday. We will get on our imaginary jet and have our passports ready. I've got the book basket stuffed full of new books from the library about Canada. It should be a great trip. I know our Mexico one was.

This week in Bible Daniel read from Matthew 4:12 - 5:10. We learned a new verse, "Come follow me," said Jesus, "And I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19. We discussed what that means. He copied the verse Monday. While I dictated Daniel wrote it another day. He did pretty well on the punctuation and very well on his spelling. I read from "Window on the World" about Haiti and we prayed for their specific needs.

Daniel worked through four lessons in spelling. Looks like I best get the next level ordered as it won't be long until he has finished Level 2.

Again we finished 3 lessons in English. Daniel grasped what was taught well and seemed to enjoy writing his own sentences.

Daniel is getting faster doing his math drills. I don't have enough time with Leah before he finishes. So I have him do book basket while I continue working with Leah. He has to be reminded to keep quiet and raise his hand if he has something important to say.

It has been a week of multiplication and division problems. Daniel is getting really good at them. Now the word problems are two parts. He has to determine if he needs to add, subtract, multiply, or divide for each part and which 2 out of 3 numbers he will use. He is catching on pretty well to that.

As I mentioned in previous posts we made tortillas, a pinata, flowers, and other Mexican crafts. We studied many different things about Mexico and the surrounding countries. For music this week we learned, "El Coqui" and "Chi Chi Bud."

Curt gave a great message at church on Sabbath about the members of the body. He started out talking about our physical bodies and questioned whether we have any unnecessary parts (like the appendix is supposedly.) He then related that to the church body. He made several good points and is an interesting speaker.

My cousin, Karol and her husband, Brad were there from SD. We were so happy they and Aunt Phyllis could come over to our house after church for our Mexican Fiesta. I forgot to take pictures while they were here. But we so enjoyed their visit. The time flew by too fast.

After Leah woke from her nap we went outside and broke the pinata. It was pretty cold.



I see now what happened to my other hoe. There's just a handle left. No one knows anything about it though.

We were scrambling to get candy.


Poor pinata...

Plenty of treats...

I've had a busy day so far. I'm glad to have my tomato juicing finished for the day. I have jars of tomato sauce I need to get out of the canner and another batch to put into jars and one more batch to cook down. I juiced (4) 5 gallon buckets today. I still have (2) 5 gallons buckets of green tomatoes and (3) 5 gallon buckets of tomatoes that are turning. I will be so glad to be done with them! Leah helped me to sort the buckets that needed sorting. She also helped me crumble the parsley off the stems that I dried in my dehydrator. She is getting to be a good helper.

Tim and Daniel went over to Gordon and Rob's to cut up some trees they had cut down and thrown onto their burning pile. They will burn it soon so Tim is glad he got out of there what he could. Daniel was a big help as he loaded a lot of the logs onto the trailer after Tim cut them into shorter lengths. Tim hasn't had much chance to work on our winter wood supply. He feels we will now have enough once he gets a chance to split what is here.

I have more pictures that I took today that I will try to post tomorrow. Now it is back to work.

2 comments:

Cora Beth said...

Your school looks like so much fun, Kimberly. :) I remember several pinatas we built in years gone by--some that wouldn't even open until you hit it about 20 times!!!

I'm glad you have such good little helpers. :)

Have a great, busy week. We too are still very busy with tomatoes...

Karol said...

Dear Kimberly,
Thank you so much for the wonderful lunch after church. We so enjoyed our time with you and your family. Such a lovely family! You are an excellent cook and everything was so yummy. I will try to make the tortillas and enchiladas sometime.

I stayed in Alfred until Thursday afternoon and worked in the schoolhouse. It is nice to be home now and rest.

Hope you guys have a nice Sabbath and weekend.