Sunday, November 1, 2009

ECC Week 9

...was another good week! We are learning so much and it has been fun.

Daniel read from Matthew 5:43-6:18. Then he looked back at how much he had read this year and was pleasantly surprised. He learned the verse, "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden." Matthew 5:14. One day he wrote it for handwriting practice. Another day I dictated the verse for language and spelling skills. On Fridays we go over all the verses he has learned this year. He is remembering them well. I read about Columbia from Window on the World. We prayed for their specific needs. They have so much drug use and poverty.

Daniel only has 4 lessons left in level 2 All About Spelling. I did order and receive level 3 and have it ready to go. He is spelling well on his word lists and daily practice sentences using all the all the rules and lists. His reading is so much better.

In math Daniel learned how to divide a 3 digit number by a 1 digit number with a remainder left over. It was pretty confusing for him the first couple days. We used math manipulatives (rocks) and that helped. Math took sooooooooo long to complete. By Thursday he was getting it. Friday he worked almost independently.

For geography we got to "fly" to Brazil from Canada. Leah and Daniel really like this. We looked at different types of South American maps and played the geography game. We know where the South American countries are pretty well already. We read some interesting facts about Brazil in A Trip Around the World and did a crossword puzzle.

In art we made costumes for the carnival. We took some old plain pillow cases, cut some holes for their heads and arms, and painted designs on them. This was really fun and they will wear them for our feast at the end of week 11.



I was happy they let me help a little.


In science we studied about tropical rain forests. Daniel drew and colored a rain forest for his notebook. We did an experiment. We planted some radish seeds in two cups. One cup we put into a plastic baggie to simulate a rain forest. Both cups were set in a warm place. Of course the rain forest cup grew quicker and taller than the other cup as the air was warm and moist.

I loaded this picture in the wrong place but just wanted to show that we are having a SUNNY day!!!! All are enjoying it here!
Today we got this little plant in our "rain forest terrarium." Nothing to report on it yet. We also started a potato plant.


We have been singing From "Wee Sing Around the World." This week's songs were, "Brown Girl in the Ring" and "Ciranda." Both are catchy tunes and fun.
Daniel has been reading from our McGuffey's Second Reader and is almost finished with it. I'm not sure if I will start him on the Third Reader or one of the Nature Readers next. Both have such nice stories in them. At night he reads from one of his library books. Lately he has been reading Henry and Mudge books. They are interesting and funny.
For read-aloud I have been reading a YWAM book about Nate Saint. It is more interesting for them than the Cameron Townsend one was. We didn't finish that one as I would just loose them while I was reading it. I'm not sure that even Daniel is ready for this series.
Well that was the week. I am always amazed at how fast they fly by! Today I am canning the last of my tomatoes. I only have 4 quarts of whole tomatoes in the canner. I have a few tomatoes in a bucket downstairs that we will eat as they ripen. I am happy that job is finished!
I should go so I can get Leah to lay down for her nap. She is a much happier person when she gets her naps!

No comments: