Friday, November 6, 2009

Opening Deer Hunting Day

Well, it is here. I kind of dread this time of the year. We get so much traffic from the hunters and I know that not all hunters hunt safely! That makes me a little wary to have the children outside especially on opening weekend. But deer hunting is a good thing as there would be way too many deer if no one hunted them.

I see that my man finally got himself a new pair of hunting boots as he has them setting in front of the wood stove. The last few years he has been covering his feet with plastic bags inside of his old boots as the soles had cracks in them. Those boots he has had since before we were married, I'm sure. So it is good to see he finally found a replacement pair. I know he mentioned something about grams of thinsulate. I wonder if he knows it is supposed to be in the 60's today?!

I wish I liked venison. I truly have tried to like it. In the early years of our marriage I would try using it in different ways. But I usually could eat no more than a couple bites of it. Tim only likes it prepared one way...fried! I suppose we could get some fresh beef and make sausage out of it although I would like just straight beef sausage much better. Both Dustin and Brandon will be hunting this year as well. That could be a lot of venison!!

Yesterday Tim got up early and started splitting wood. We have a gas powered wood splitter that he uses. By the time he got everything set up and going Daniel was finished with his school work and headed out to help. He is a really good helper. He runs the splitter, puts the logs into it, and takes the split pieces out. After they get a pickup load full they stack it in the quonset. They got the pile of wood in front of the quonset split. They have a big pile in between the two quonsets that needs to be split. And there's a trailer load of logs inside the quonset yet to split. Once they get those done we should have enough wood to last the winter, I hope.

We have been using the wood stove since it got cold and raining in October. I don't think we have let it go out. One of the advertising lines they use is, "You only have to use one match a winter." And it is true! We have a Blaze King stove that we bought a few years ago. It replaced our old Buck Stove that we had bought used the second year we lived here. The Buck Stove had a burned through inner liner that could be dangerous. We had lots of hot fires in there and loved that old stove. But this new stove is even better. It is so much more efficient! I love that I can load it once a day in weather like this, get it burning good, and then shut it way down. Tim likes it because we use way less wood. We can control the temperature much better. We used to have to open windows and doors and still have to feed that old thing every few hours. This one burns a nice steady temperature. When it gets colder we can turn it up. Then we load it twice a day. No more getting up several times a night to load the stove!!

I've got enough lasagna left over from yesterday for us to eat for supper tonight. I'm making some chicken breasts and rice for tomorrow that should be easy to get ready. I want to make some baked beans and corn to go along with it. I still have some homemade buns in the freezer that we can eat with that. I will make an apple and a pumpkin pie for dessert. I'm using up those apples Brandon brought me from Gordon! Yesterday I got most of my house cleaning done so I am really happy about that. I even got the van cleaned out.

Have a restful blessed Sabbath everyone.

No comments: