Monday, December 21, 2009

ECC Week 15 and Other Stuff

We have had so much fun in Europe. Daniel and I are both getting pretty good at playing the geography game. I still have trouble with Hungary, Austria, and Serbia. They are all about the same size and in the same area. This week finished our study of France. Today we are going to Germany. I think we will take the train instead of flying.

It was neat that last night on Globe Trekker there was an episode about World War II sites in Europe. I found it very interesting. I think most of it went over Daniel's head but then he is only 8 years old!

This week Daniel made his model of the Eiffel Tower. You might find it interesting to look at some videos on You-Tube of the Eiffel Tower. Did you know they turn the platform into a skating rink in the winter? I wonder how it feels to skate that high in the air?



There were 12 steps to this model. After helping Daniel get started on it he was able to finish the steps himself. And he has been playing with it since then. He's got his little Lego men skating around on it.



Friday morning the children and I made some French food. Daniel mixed up some truffles. Oh my, were they good! Leah helped me make crepes. I ate several for breakfast. The rest we used to make Pastrami and Broccoli Crepes with Mornay Sauce that we had for lunch. For supper we made French Chicken, Potato Cake, Peas, and Chocolate Mouse Pie. We had a candle light supper with Welch's Sparking Grape Juice in our champagne glasses...very nice.

We have been reading a YWAM biography about George Muller. It has been Daniel and my favorite so far. George was such an awful youth! What a turn around he made when he finally gave his life to God. It will be our read-aloud for the next two weeks as we only read one chapter each school day.

I haven't decided how much "Christmas" vacation we will have yet. I'm thinking I would like to finish this week (16) of ECC. It might take us 2 weeks to do it. Tim has Thursday off since the trucks won't go out on the 25th. Then he has New Year's Eve off from work as well as the trucks don't go out on the 1st either. It will be nice for him to have two 3 day weekends off in a row! And nice for us to have him home.

I best get going on our day.

1 comment:

Cora Beth said...

What a neat tower! I especially like the Lego men skating. :) I didn't know that about the Eiffel tower... I don't think I'd be brave enough to skate up that high in the air!

I'm glad to hear that you feel the session helped you! We're looking forward to seeing you tomorrow--if everything works out. :) I was wondering if you would like to bring along snow gear for Daniel & Leah, as they may wish to go out and swing on our swings or go on the merry-go-round? Just a thought...

Sleep well~
Love,
Cora