Friday I made most of my food for Sabbath. I was hungry for knipfle so that is what I made. I was horribly humbled by it as it didn't turn out. I didn't have time to remake it and hoped that it would be edible. As I lay in bed that night wondering what could have happened to it I remembered that I had bought some bread flour at Sam's awhile back. Then I didn't mark the bucket. I'm pretty sure now that it was the flour as the Finnish Cookie Sticks we made that day didn't "turn out" either.
We finished our study of Norway. So I made some Norwegian Potato Soup for supper on Friday. Daniel, Leah, and I made the Finnish Cookie Sticks. After we made the dough for the cookies we rolled them into long rolls about 1/2 inch diameter. Then we cut them into 2 inch lengths. This we dipped into beaten eggs, then sugar, and finally crushed almonds. They were only supposed to need to back 8 minutes but they took about 20 minutes to get done.
It was the same with my knipfle. I kept boiling it but it wouldn't get done. Finally I drained it. The noodles looked like they had melted and the water I poured off was thick with starch. On Sabbath I reheated them in my big crock pot and they were kind of mushy. But my company ate it and said they liked it.
We did have a great Sabbath of rest and fellowship. The day spent with friends and family was so refreshing. My meal was simple and just needed to be dished up for the table. I think all were filled.
After sundown which comes so quickly now we played games of Uno, Swap, and later Phase Ten. The children played outside sledding down the hill (ditch) for a long time. I loved their rosy cheeks when the finally came inside. They, too, were able to play some of the card games with us. They also enjoyed a video while we played.
Yesterday my girls and I went to a baby shower in Jamestown for a young woman of our church. Leah kept saying we were going to a "shower cap." I don't know what she was thinking we were going to do there. So I explained what a shower was and that we wouldn't get wet. The young new mother got so many gifts as there were so many people there. It was fun to see all the cute little things. And she didn't get double of anything except one cute little ducky sleeper.
Tim had brought Daniel up to town before he had to go to work. Whitney and I both had some shopping to do so we left the shower around 4:00. She had to buy some heat lamp bulbs at TSC. Her chicken coop isn't as warm as our old one here. Hers is bigger for one thing. Although the chickens haven't been troubled by the cold she has had a few eggs freeze already. It most likely will get colder so she wanted to be prepared.
Today we will be back to school. We will be "flying" to France and will spend a couple weeks there. This week for art we are supposed to construct a model of the Eiffel Tower. One of the moms had a post on the forum last week with a link to a website that showed each step for making it out of Lego's. That should be fun to do. I'm ready for an art project that will have minimal work for me!
2 comments:
Dear Kimberly~
We have failed food every once in a while around here too! (It's so nice to have cats, a dog, and goats who will eat almost anything!)
I just thought I'd let you know that I tagged you on my blog just now. :)
Have a great day,
~Cora
Hi Kimberly,
I just love reading about your cooking--successes or failed. :) I'm sure that it was all delicious as nothing prepared by loving hands could ever taste bad.
I recently was tagged by one of Cora's blogging friends. I had fun reading her answers and so I decided to play along too. I thought you may want to join in the game of tag.
It's very easy to do. All you have to do is go to my blog; copy the questions; and answer them here. No, you don't have to, but I just thought it would be a fun way to liven up the day and I'd love to hear what you say. :)
Dawn
Post a Comment