Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ECC Week 10

We still are in South America in our geography studies. Both Daniel and I are getting quite good at the geography game. The South American countries are much easier to learn than the North American islands and the countries south of Mexico. I am getting them down but Daniel still needs a few hints.

Daniel's Bible verse was a continuation of the passage from last week. This week's verse was, "Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:15. We read about the Yanomano, a people group in Brazil and Venezuela, in Window on the World. Then someone posted a link on the MFW forum that the Yanomamo are getting sick from H1N1. We have been praying for them as they don't have much immunity for these types of diseases.

Daniel finished level 2 in All About Spelling. He did have trouble with the spellings of aw and au. The spellings of ou and ow proved even more difficult. So we will continue to review those lists until he can remember them better. When I looked over level 3 I found it to have more dictation sentences. That will slow our pace in completing each step which is fine as Daniel is now reading at a third grade level. Reading more should help with his spelling and language abilities as he can see how things should look as he reads.

Daniel is doing well in his division. It is still taking him longer to finish a lesson but not as long as it did the week before this one. He has his multiplication tables down pretty well. If he can't get one I have him skip count from the product he does remember. There is so much to learn and we never do learn everything, do we? We just keep learning our whole lives.

As we have been studying South America and a big chunk of that area is a tropical rain forest we have been learning about the Amazon in science. We have enjoyed reading about the plants and animals of that area. I found a few good videos at the library as well.

We didn't get to our art last week for some reason. But I have the supplies and we will do it this week. We listened to and sang along with (the English part) of Mi Chacra in music.

Daniel continues to read from the Bible each day as well as from a reader. He has been finishing the second McGuffey's Reader he started last year. He has been reading much better since we have done All About Spelling and gets through his lesson much easier with more comprehension. At night he will read a book out loud that he picked from the library. Sometimes he will even read a book to Leah during the day. I'm happy to see this as I think reading is so important.

I decided to read Nate Saint to myself and then just summarize to Daniel. If there was a short passage I thought would interest him I read that out loud. He is enjoying that much more. The book was just a little too "old" for him to really enjoy.

There went that week. It does seem they just fly by. The guys, Tim and Brandon, didn't get their deer although Tim's friend, Carry got a doe. Tim said they didn't even see any they could shoot. There is so much corn standing they probably won't see any until it is harvested. They still enjoyed their time together.

I need to get our breakfast so we can start another day of learning. Blessings!

2 comments:

Cora Beth said...

Dear Kimberly,
It looks like you've been so busy--again! :)
I haven't been here in a while because, for some reason, according to my sidebar you haven't posted in 2 weeks! I guess that isn't so--for which I'm glad, as I very much enjoy reading about what's been happening in your neck of the woods and was hoping you hadn't quit blogging!

I hope you had a restful Sabbath and are ready for a new week. :)

With love,
Cora

Kimberly said...

That has happened with blogs on my side bar as well. I don't know why it would do that but it can be frustrating.