My father passed away over 17 years ago. I was only 29 when he died! It was such a hard time as I loved him very much. Dad and I were so very much alike in many ways and shared a special bond.
Ten years later my mother rather nervously told me that she had met someone and was planning to get married again! It seemed a little too much for me to handle at that time. I think I reacted in a positive way. As we got to know Bob I realized that they really made a good couple. Both of them had their main focus on God as Lord of their lives and I saw my mother blossom in Bob's love. What I didn't realize at the time was how much we would grow to love him as well.
Mom and Bob got married on Thanksgiving Day 1999. They enjoyed too short a time together. In the spring of 2001 my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer. She underwent surgery and treatment but succumbed to it January 2002. We all still miss her so much.
Little did we know that our Bob would continue to want a relationship with us North Dakotans. He has faithfully come up to see us at least once a year and stays here at the farm in his RV. Our children have enjoyed having a Granddad who takes them fishing, out for lunch at Burger King where Mom and Dad never want to go, and is interested in spending time with them.
This past spring Bob even preformed the marriage ceremony of our daughter, Whitney to Ryan. Now that was really special! Words can not even express how much we love this man who has truly become our Dad and Granddad. We have missed him coming this summer as he has had to have several procedures done to fix things. I teased him that he is the "bionic man" now. He jokingly replied that he probably has shelled out $6 million.
This is our family at Mom and Bob's wedding. The wedding was held at my mother's home. Whitney and I were both bridesmaids.
This is Bob's Oklahoma family. His mother is on the left. Nancy and Robert, his oldest son, and their two children, Katie and Robbie are next. To the right of my mother are Randall, the middle son, and Roger, the youngest. Bob's three sons were his groomsmen.

Mom and Bob had their reception at Julie's Cafe in Gackle.

Mom and Bob had their reception at Julie's Cafe in Gackle.
This was taken at the Senior Center where we had our Thanksgiving Dinner the day of their wedding.

The summer after they got married the three kids and I were able to go down to their Oklahoma home in August. Bob took us rafting on the White River (?). We had stopped to eat our lunch by the side of the river. Bob had sat on the edge of the raft when he slid in. He decided it was comfortable so he just stayed there.

I think this is my absolute favorite picture of Bob. Last September while he was here he gave Daniel a kite he had brought. As it is most frequently windy enough in ND to fly a kite we enjoyed our time doing that. He is so willing to play and interact with the children and truly seems to enjoy doing so. He is one of the most joyful people I know.

The summer after they got married the three kids and I were able to go down to their Oklahoma home in August. Bob took us rafting on the White River (?). We had stopped to eat our lunch by the side of the river. Bob had sat on the edge of the raft when he slid in. He decided it was comfortable so he just stayed there.

I think this is my absolute favorite picture of Bob. Last September while he was here he gave Daniel a kite he had brought. As it is most frequently windy enough in ND to fly a kite we enjoyed our time doing that. He is so willing to play and interact with the children and truly seems to enjoy doing so. He is one of the most joyful people I know.
2 comments:
Oh Kimberly,
I am so glad that you shared about Bob and his approaching birthday. What a wonderful man of God he is! I didn't know that he still comes to see your family. He even sent me an email expressing sympathy when my mother died in April. Anyone who has ever heard Bob sing has been blessed too.
Could you send me Bob's email address so that I can wish him a happy birthday too?
I praise God that HE gave you an adopted dad to love!!!
Hugs,
Dawn
I am so glad you stopped by to visit my blog and that I got to read yours. How incredible that God blessed you with two Dad's. Thank you for sharing this story.
Post a Comment