Thursday, May 6, 2010

Well...another cloudy cold day. This is typical May weather. I'm so glad that we had a nice April. I hear that we could get a couple inches of snow today and tomorrow. It will be good moisture, I guess, that should disappear quickly.

Whitney stopped over yesterday and brought her chickens. They seemed happy to be back at their old place. She had been letting them outside at her place when a fox ate 5 of them in one day. One good thing is that the fox got my enemy. I had told her she would have to do away with him as I wouldn't allow him on my place. The fox took care of it.

She is getting baby chicks at the end of the month and didn't have room at her place to keep both at the same time. She's got some hens that are really mean and would probably kill baby chicks. They are the Americana Araconas (I think). They are brown with little tufts of feathers sticking out from their cheeks. I remember when they were baby chicks. I would be out there feeding them and I would feel something pecking on me, turn around, and see it was them. The tufts made them look angry, too. These hens would stand inside the coop by the little door and not let "Little Lady" inside. Little Lady was a rooster that we thought was a hen when he was a chick, hence the name. It stuck and we just never changed it. They would peck him if he tried to come in. So he had to wait until everyone was roosted before he could come inside for the night.

I will leave the chickens inside the coop and fence for a couple days. Then we will let them roam around. It will be different not having a rooster. I like the sound of their crowing.

Daniel's vision therapy is going well. Here's a picture of him doing the X's and O's exercise. He draws over the X's and under the O's without touching any letters. He can only use one eye and can't touch the paper or table with his arms.




After he draws the lines he has to go back and dot the O's, put the pen back to his cheek, and fill in the O's. I tried doing it and found I couldn't get the O's dotted. It looked like I was putting the pen in the right place but didn't. Try it sometime. Remember to cover one eye.


This is the Marsden ball exercise.

Here Daniel is falling off the rail. Occasionally he does that.



Actually he does have good balance so this exercise is very easy for him.



This is the ABC chart. I hang it on the wall, he stands 10 feet back, holds the lens up to his eye, and patches the other eye.


The last month we retired the wood stove and have been using our Eden Pure heater. The heater has done a great job keeping it nice and warm in here. I was happy not to have to fill the stove and clean out the ashes and keep the floor clean around the stove. When I heard that we were to get snow and it was going to get colder I decided to make fire last night. It is nice and toasty in here and it is nice to see that the kids aren't wrapped up in blankets this morning.



I see that my bird feeder is empty and there are some pretty little birds looking for seeds. I had best go feed them.


Oh...I forgot...I wanted to link to this interesting video I watched this morning. It was in a Dr. Mercola e-newsletter that I get. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/06/a-movie-about-water-you-need-to-see.aspx If you get a chance watch it.

No comments: